Today, I was asked by three teachers what I do all summer. They could not believe that the I.T. department didn’t get the summer off and certainly did not understand how much work goes on behind the scenes. After a few minutes of explaining all of the projects that we are working on, I think they understood how much work we have to get done before August.
So, I have a few questions for you: What projects are you working on this summer and what have you already accomplished?
Here is my summer list (so far):
- Organize our scripts folder: I have a habit of sticking scripts in the strangest places. To make things easier, we are grouping scripts together.
- Migrate User side printers to Computer side
- Install wireless in three buildings
- Install 20 SmartBoards
- Setup the new portables
- Replace the non-POE switches with POE
- Strip out one building that is being demolished
- Upgrade SCCM to SP1
- Setup SCSM
Of course, I also have the normal summer maintenance/projects. These include:
- Helping in the lease refresh (1,500 computers this year)
- Cleaning out the projectors
- Installing maintenance kits in any printer needing them
- Redoing old/bad wiring
So, if you are still with me – let me know about your Summer To-Do list and any projects that you’ve completed. If you do any other summer maintenance work, what is it?